Saturday, January 25, 2014

Researching history...

The year 2011 I was inspired to create this work of art based on the 225 year celebration of the establishment of Columbia as the capital of SC. In my mind I began to wonder about the past. 



On the grounds of the state capitol I see the ghosts of the past wander, surveying life, as Columbia grows. Those who helped build this political capital city with a thirst for culture and art. "We've had a number of individuals of all different backgrounds who've really made Columbia kind of a cultural melting pot and an exciting place to be," said John Sherrer with the Historic Columbia Foundation. March 2011 Columbia, SC celebrated 225 years. This painting is dedicated to the soldiers, firefighters, cooks, cleaners, autocrats, politicians, educators, artists a melting pot of people who created the capital of SC.

See my website for more information about this painting

-Alexandra

No comments:

Post a Comment